Hardenbergia comptoniana Benth.
in Hueg. Enum 41.
Flora Australiensis, George Bentham (assisted by Ferdinand Mueller - govt. botanist, Melbourne, Victoria) London, 1864
West Australia. King Georg's Sound, R. Brown ; and thence to Swan River, Drimmond, 1st. collection and n. 271, Huegel, Preiss, n. 1093, 1094, and others.
Jardins de France (1857) "Hardenbergia Comptoniana Bth. Elle a été figurée dans le Botanical Register, tab. 290, sous le nome de Glycine Comptoniana, et elle est aussi connue des horticulteurs sous celui de Kennedya Comptoniana Link.
First classified as a Glycine (Wisteria) this vine was quickly transferred to Kennedya (under which name Walter Oates referred to it cautiously in his 1929 article). Grown as a glasshouse climber in Britain. Jane Loudon in her Ladies Flower-garden of Ornamental Greenhouse Plants (1848) calls it "one of the most common plants in greenhouses, as it is of remarkably easy culture". She gos on to state that "the plant is a native of the neighbourhood of Port Jackson, in New Holland, and it was introduced in 1803." She describes its "twining habit, and when planted in the free ground of a conservatory, it will grow to a considerable height."
From Paxton's Magazine 1841
The description that accompanies this illustration recommends this Hardenbergia for pot culture since in the glasshouse border it is apt to grow vigorously and flower only after it has reached considerable size. The example provided for the plate was grown on the estate of the quintessentially named Victorian gentleman: Sir Edmond Antrobus, Bart., at Cheam. His gardener was nicely named too: Mr. Green.
Swan River Colony, West Australia. Introduced by Sir James Stirling, who sent seeds to England in 1835. Raised by Robert Mangles at Sunningdale, Berks. Flowered by Mr. Kyle gardener to R. Barclay of Layton Essex in May